Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hosptial IV's

Getting an IV is horrible, I have not had one before I had a baby and it was just an awful experience. When I had my first son it took the nurse 20 minutes to do the IV and she poked me twice. In the meantime I am having contractions every 4 minutes and am at 8 ½ cm. I was like ok can we get this done so I can get some pain meds going? When I had my second son I told the nurse about my experience and she said not to worry, she was really good at it and wouldn’t take her at long. Well she turned out to be even worse, she poked me twice one in the right hand and one on the left, I had two band aids and no IV. She had to go get another nurse who poked me once but sat there for five minutes moving the needle around inside my skin to poke the vein. She finally got it when she was about to give up, and it was painful. I am still no sure why they put the IV in my right hand, which is the hand I use for everything, including going to the restroom with, it is not easy to do when you have a needle stick in your hand. If you have never had an IV before just be aware that it can be painful and it may take a few pokes to get it right.

No comments: